Review: Tiger by the Tail

Tiger by the Tail Tiger by the Tail by James Hadley Chase
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

UN-F**KING-PUTDOWNABLE

This is one of those fast-paced thrillers which you can't put down till you reach the last page. The story starts slowly and looks like just another tale of a meek husband who wants to have some fun on the sidelines.

But all hell breaks loose when the meek hubby Ken finds the girl dead after he had done his thing.. There are gangsters, dirty politicians and corrupt cops who want him framed for murder or dead. There starts a cat and mouse game which leaves in its trail countless dead bodies.


Thye pacing is fast and the pace is breathtaking. Everything takes place in one night and ends just before Mrs Ken returns.

Check out some passages:-



“It wasn’t as bad as that. You were recommended to me by a friend.” “He wasn’t much of a friend, Buster,” she said seriously. “My old man had a saying that applies to you. Whenever I wanted to do something risky, he would tell me to watch my step. ‘Be careful,” he would say, ‘you might be catching a tiger by its tail.’ I’ve never forgotten that saying. Don’t you forget it either, Buster. You’re going to forget all about me after tonight. If you get the wayward feeling again, don’t call me up. I won’t see you.” She took his hand and squeezed it. “I wouldn’t like you to get into trouble because of me.” Ken was touched. “You’re a funny girl: too good for this racket.” She shook her head. “I wish I was. It just happens, Buster, there’s something about you that’s made me soft tonight.” She laughed. “We’ll be letting our hair down in a moment and sobbing over each other. Well, here we are.”



......



“Maybe it’s not so ancient. Now look, Gilda, before I say anything more about Johnny, I want you to understand our position. I don’t have to tell you I’m crazy about you, and I’ll do anything for you. Always remember that. You’re the only woman I’ve ever loved. Oh, mere have been plenty of the other type, but with you, it’s different. You mean more to me than anything else in life. We are going to get married soon. As you know, I am in control of the administration of this City. It’s important to me that I should remain in control. Politics is a dirty game, kid. Everyone is on the lookout to cut someone’s throat. The quickest way to upset a political machine is to dig up a scandal that is big enough to hit the headlines. Then the voters take notice. Do you understand?” She sat on the arm of the chair, her hands clenched tightly between her thighs; still, white-faced and frightened. “Yes, Sean, but what has this to do with Johnny?” He faced her. “I told you Howard brought some bad news. Fay Carson was murdered last night.”




......

Louie beamed. Any other man would have been instantly suspicious, but Louie had an enormous opinion of his charms. He believed all women found him irresistible, and he accepted Gilda’s apparent surrender as his due. “You’re being smart, baby,” he said, got up and went over to her. “This could be the beginning of a long and beautiful friendship.” He caught hold of her, pulled her upright and made an attempt to kiss her. Gilda shoved him off with strength that startled him. “You’ll spoil my make-up!” she said sharply. “Keep away from me!” “Take it easy, baby,” he said, grinning at her. “None of those tricks tonight.” She gave him a long, steady stare. “Meet me at the stage door in an hour,” she said, crossed the room and opened the door. “I have to change.”

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Ashadh Ka Ek Din by Mohan Rakesh

Review of Suraj Ka Satvan Ghoda

Review: Dus June ki Raat