Review: A Book of Simple Living

A Book of Simple Living A Book of Simple Living by Ruskin Bond
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The advice of Mr. Bond is simple, like his writing. I agree with him when he says life resides in small, simple and little things like seeing the rainbow after rains, love, compassion and contentment.


The book is like a breath of fresh air and easy to read. The wisdom is timeless and eternal.

See some passages and admire the beauty:-

It occurs to me that perhaps the cat is a monk. By this I do not mean anything austere. I doubt anyone in single-minded pursuit of enlightenment ever finds it. A good monk would be a mild sort of fellow, a bit of a sensualist, capable of compassion for the world, but also for himself. He would know that it is all right not to climb every mountain. A good monk would know that contentment is easier to attain than happiness, and that it is enough.





.....


We must love someone. We must keep loving, all our days, Someone, anyone, anywhere Outside our selves; For even the sarus crane Will grieve over its lost companion, And the seal its mate. Somewhere in life There must be someone To take your hand And share the torrid day. Without the touch of love There is no life, and we must fade away.


......




I think I have learnt something of the value of stillness. I don’t fret so much; I laugh at myself more often; I don’t laugh at others. I live life at my own pace. Like a banyan tree. Is this wisdom, or is it just old age?



....


I am always a bit wary of saints and godmen, preachers and teachers, who are ready with solutions for all our problems. For one thing, they talk too much. When I was at school I mastered the art of sleeping (without appearing to sleep) through a long speech or lecture by the principal or visiting dignitary, and I must confess to doing the same today. The trick is to sleep with your eyes half closed; this gives the impression of concentrating very hard on what is being said, even though you might well be roaming happily in dreamland. In our imperfect world there is far too much talk and not enough thought. The TV channels are awash with gurus and experts telling us how to live, and they do so at great length. TV anchors are prone to lecturing and bullying the guests on their shows. Too many know-alls. A philosophy for living? You won’t find it on your TV sets or in discourses by the loud lieutenants of the gods. You will learn more from your paan-wala or a street vendor. ‘And what is your philosophy?’I asked my sabzi-wala. ‘You have asked me this before, sir,’he said, as he chose a bunch of fresh greens for me. ‘Yes, but what is your philosophy today?’‘The same as it was yesterday. Anything that helps me find a good customer.’‘My money will make you happy?’‘Only if my palak makes you happy and you come back for more,’he said and sent me on my way.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Ashadh Ka Ek Din by Mohan Rakesh

Review of Suraj Ka Satvan Ghoda

Review: Dus June ki Raat