Review: The Child Next Door

The Child Next Door The Child Next Door by Shalini Boland
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A Greek philosopher once said that the only thing that is constant is change. Well, I don’t want things to change. I want what Dom and I have to remain the same. Our strong relationship, the safety and comfort of our house. I realise that since I heard those voices in the monitor four days ago, I no longer feel comfortable in my own home. I’m scared to be here alone. Maybe that’s why I’m resentful of Dom’s training. I don’t know. I don’t trust what I’m feeling. I don’t understand it.





I notice that my neighbour’s car is missing from his driveway. My heart thumps uncomfortably as I realise what this means… Martin is out. But when did he leave and when is he coming back? I don’t know the answers to those questions, which means he could be back any minute. Do I dare to do what I know needs to be done? Couldn’t this be the perfect opportunity, while Daisy is out of the house? I still don’t feel as though I’m quite in my right mind. My thoughts are scattered and shaky. But what I do know is that I won’t be able to relax until I see who or what is down in Martin’s basement. I need to prove to myself that I’m not losing my mind, that something really is going on next door. And, if I’m honest, I have a strong urge to prove Dom wrong. To say I told you so. I scoop up my shoulder bag from the sofa and slide my phone inside. I decide to go out the back way in case any neighbours are looking out of their windows. I ease the back doors open and step outside, scanning the garden and the fields beyond. No movement. Nothing but patchy grass, trees and sky. Gripping the heavy wooden patio table with both hands, I heave it off the flagstones and onto the grass. From there, I drag it over to Martin’s fence, churning up the dry grass and leaving two parallel gouges across the lawn.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Ashadh Ka Ek Din by Mohan Rakesh

Review of Suraj Ka Satvan Ghoda

Review: Dus June ki Raat