Review: The Case of the Troubled Trustee

The Case of the Troubled Trustee The Case of the Troubled Trustee by Erle Stanley Gardner
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Why o why?? Why Mason has to manipulate?

Though I know the answer. He says for him client's interest is first and foremost.

However, some of his tricks seem unnecessary.




"Now, I'm willing to bet that you made a stop at a culvert, got out of your car and tossed the murder weapon and perhaps some other incriminating evidence into the culvert."

"And the police have that?" Dutton asked in dismay. "The police have that." "Then there's nothing left for youto do," Dutton said, "except have me plead guilty and put myself on the mercy of the court." "Did you kill him?" Mason asked. "No, I didn't kill him," Dutton said, "but I did find a gun by the body. I picked it up and when I got to my car, I examined it by flashlight and found it was my gun." "You had a flashlight in the car?" "Well, it was the dash light," Dutton said. Mason said, "You're indulging in the most expensive luxury a man can indulge in." "What's that? Being tried for murder?" "No, lying to your lawyer."

"I'm not lying." Mason said, "Don't be silly. A detective was watching you when you came out of the club. You jumped in your car and drove away at high speed. You went a mile and three-tenths, passed over a culvert, slammed on your brakes so you left tire marks on the surface of the pavement, put your car in reverse; went back, got out and tossed something under the culvert. You didn't turn on the dash light; you didn't use any flashlight."

"A detective was watching me?" "Yes." "Then why wasn't I arrested?" "It was a private detective and no one knew anything about the murder, as yet." "All right," Dutton said. "You have me convicted in your own mind and-" "I don't have you convicted in my mind," Mason said. "I simply suggested that you had better tell your lawyer the truth. How did you know it was your gun?"


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Ashadh Ka Ek Din by Mohan Rakesh

Review of Suraj Ka Satvan Ghoda

Review: Dus June ki Raat