Interview of Devika Das author of "The Mind Game"


Author Bio in first person:

An eloquent writer whose words pour out naturally. That’s me, Devika Das. My first encounter with literature happened at the age of 13 when I explored various paths of poetry. Later, I started blogging in 2008 and stepped into novel writing in 2016.

Writing is like my second skin.  The poem that I’m really proud of, and which has received a lot of recognition is “For Those At Kargil”, a tribute to all those martyrs who have laid down their lives while serving the nation. Writing gives me a sense of freedom and takes me into a zone where I’m stress free.

Creative writing liberates me and is a medium that allows me to be myself. Another reason why I chose to write is because I wanted to express my opinions and voice my thoughts to the public. It’s often noted that a person is not expressing himself/herself clearly when he/she talks to someone; however, writing is a medium that gives that person the liberty since there is less fear of being judged by people.

I wish all my readers a wonderful time reading my books. In case you want to contact me regarding any of my books, feel free to shoot out an email or connect with me via social media.

Interview:

1.     Tell me something about yourself. How does your personality affect your writing?
Ans : I am a keen observer, an explorer and a student of life. My personality helps me maintain a balance in my writing style. I stay focused on my manuscript and do not get distracted.

2.    When did you decide to write? What was the inspiration?
Ans: I used to write poems and diary in my teenage. There are few unclear emotions which you can’t explain to anybody. Those I used to pen down in my diary and the outcome was a verse. I never thought of publishing my works until my friends at the PG encouraged me to express my views on marriage to the public. That’s how my journey as an author began in 2016 when I published 7 Vows of Marriage.

3.    How long it took to write the book?
Ans: 9 months surprisingly 😊

4.    How do you schedule your time for writing? Do you have specific time of the day or write whenever you get time?
Ans: I have a fixed time slot for writing. Even professionally I am a Content Strategist and have to write business content. I can’t imagine my life without writing. Usually, I write in the morning say 4 am when the surroundings are peaceful.

5.    What kind of books you like to read. Your favourite books, authors and genres.
Ans: I love reading crime thrillers and detective stories. My favourite authors would be Arthur Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie. Recently I finished Mafia Queens of Mumbai by S. Hussain Zaidi. A brilliant book 😊

6.    What else do you do as hobby (besides reading and writing)?
Ans: I am a professional Theatre Artist and have been acting in plays since 2003. Acting and cooking are my other hobbies.

7.    How important is editing? How many drafts and rewrite it took to make your book perfect? How dd you choose your editor?
Ans: Editing is crucial as it gives a third person’s perspective to the manuscript. I edited the book once only. I found my editor, Humera Nishat on LinkedIn.

8.    When is your next book coming and what will it be all about?
Ans: I have two manuscripts which are 50% complete. One is a Hindi novel (won’t tell much now) while the other is a coffee table book for travellers.

9.    The book deals with Psychology. Are you trained in this field?
Ans: No. I am not trained in Psychology but have read it since I was 15 years old. Theatre experience has helped me understand human psychology and behaviour when I used to prepare for my characters.

10. Emotional intelligence is not a new concept. How much you added to this?
Ans: I have mentioned tips that I have implemented in my life which has helped me find my purpose of life.

11.  I recently read a book called “The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck” by Mark Manson. This deals with the same issues but have a totally different approach. How does your book compare with that?
Ans: The Mind Game is more personalized as I have shared my experiences of dealing with challenges in life.

12. Anger management is a big issue with younger generation. What are specific tips for below 30 persons for managing stress and controlling anger?
Ans: First of all, don’t react when you are angry. Try to understand the cause of your anger. Reason it out. Do you think you are right being angry or is the issue very trivial and can be sorted out differently? Stress is built because we hide our true emotions and try to pose as a different person before the society. You will have to have the courage of facing challenges when you are being your real SELF.

13. The last section puts all onus on the individual. It seems the employer has no responsibility towards the happiness of employees. Why is it so?
Ans: The employer has responsibility in making the office a happy workplace. It is said that employees leave their manager and not the company. The chapter is dedicated to both employers and employees. As an individual, even the employer was an employee at some time. However, if you have a less empathetic employer you cannot leave the job in a jiffy. Resignation should never be impulsive. Most of the problems take place because employees do not have the guts to say NO to their boss. Nothing is above self-respect and it depends on the individual where to draw the line.

14. The book devoted two sections to happiness? Is it the be all and end all of our existence? Is there no other pursuit of our lives apart from happiness?
Ans: I believe if you are happy and contended, it is the biggest and only pursuit of life. All problems in life occur because you are unhappy or not satisfied 😊

15. The genetic influence is a pervasive theme throughout the book. It is age old nature versus nurture debate. How much emphasis you put on nature and nurture in shaping our personality?
Ans: Your upbringing and outlook towards life are two important determinants of your basic personality. The kind of environment you are brought up in shapes your core values. But, change is constant. You should have the attitude of being a student all your life because you don’t know which incident will bring about a change in your outlook. Learn the art of practising Gratitude 😊

16. The practices told in the book are amazing for success. But the funny thing is when you require these techniques say in time of anger or depression they elude you. How to inculcate these habits in us so that we use them at the exact moment?Ans: It requires practice. For example, I used to be short-tempered as a child and teenager. I have committed a lot of mistakes due to anger. Then, I adopted a strict approach of mending my ways as I learned the hard way. Now, I rarely get angry. I am a happy person 😊


Blurb of the book:


“Happiness, stress, ecstasy or depression, it’s all a mind game. As long as our mind is under our control, everything else is. That’s what The Mind Game is all about. It is not an average self-help book that preaches life-enhancing methodologies based on complex science or long philosophical verses. The book’s genius lies in its simplicity. It offers quick, actionable and instantly applicable tips that will help readers lead better lives, instantly.” 

Where to buy:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Ashadh Ka Ek Din by Mohan Rakesh

Review of Suraj Ka Satvan Ghoda

Review: Dus June ki Raat